In the context of “going from no connectivity to full connectivity”, the aim of EuroCham Myanmar’s Digital Initiative is to raise awareness on digital literacy and advocate for a fair access and use of the internet within the country. With the support of our members, we are continuously working on positioning the digital initiative as a central source of knowledge and expertise on Myanmar’s digital ecosystem. Our international group is uniquely positioned to create and add value for all members of EuroCham Myanmar through cross-sectoral engagement, by functioning as a bridge between European best-practices, resources, and support networks.
Fair access to the internet
The importance of the internet as a key piece of modern-day infrastructure cannot be overstated. The growing reliance on the internet means that the government has a responsibility to ensure citizens have equal access to the internet. An uninterrupted and free flow of information is not only a key component of a healthy democracy but also important for (potential) international investors.
Ensuring data privacy
An increasing amount of personal data and information on individuals is being collected as more services shift to online platforms. The EMDI strongly opposes the collection of personal information which could be used for nefarious purposes and believes that individuals should have some degree of agency in deciding what their personal data can be used for.
Addressing digital fraud
Fraud in e-commerce is a prevalent problem when informal and unregulated platforms are used as the main digital marketplaces. The EMDI advocates for the strengthening of consumer protection policies and has formulated recommendations to the government for combating digital fraud, which include an enforceable registration process for online retailers.
An over-reliance on social media paired with poor critical thinking skills can not only lead to people sharing hate speech and fake news but also makes them easy prey for clickbait schemes. The initiative advocates for an improvement of digital literacy by stimulating creative thinking and practical self-learning. In doing so, the shortage of digital skills encountered b both local and international employers and investors can be addressed.
- Support digital transformation through active participation in the development of legal and regulatory frameworks
- Promote the inclusiveness of digital services to the Myanmar population and advocate against attempts to limit or shut down the
internet and advocate for an affordable and reliable internet access
- Support the legislation and enactment of data protection laws and legal safeguards for consumers
- Raise awareness with Regional and State Ministries regarding the added value of digital solutions and e-commerce as a contributor to economic growth
- Stimulate entrepreneurship and bridge the potential knowledge gap
- Improve digital literacy and work with relevant public and private bodies to create fair access to the internet and digital services
EuroChamMyanmar Digital Initiative Launch Event, 9th October 2020 EuroCham Myanmar Digital Initiative Launch Event – EuroCham Myanmar (eurocham-myanmar.org)
Newspaper article in the Myanmar Times: Digital frontrunners join forces to push forward the digitalisation of Myanmar | The Myanmar Times (mmtimes.com)
To join the group, please send an email to email@example.com