ABOUT EUROCHAM MYANMAR
The European Chamber of Commerce in Myanmar – EuroCham Myanmar – launched in December 2014, co-funded by the European Union. EuroCham serves as the voice of European business in Myanmar, contributes to a better business climate and promotes trade and investment relations with the EU.
Working at the crossroads of international trade, economic diplomacy and public-private sector cooperation, EuroCham’s main contacts are Myanmar officials, EU member state embassies, the EU delegation, the European Commission, European businesses, international organisations and European trade promotion organisations.
Job Title: Executive Director
Reporting to: Chairman and Board of Directors
Management: Team of 15 people located in Yangon and Nay Pyi Taw.
Job Summary:The Executive Director is responsible for the day-to-day operational management of EuroCham and for the formulation and the implementation of the sustainability goals driven by the Board of Directors
Location: Yangon, with regular travel within Myanmar (Naypyidaw), Asia and Europe
Contract Term: 1 year contract, renewable, upon successful completion of a 3 months probation period.
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: EuroCham employees, EuroCham Board of Directors, EuroCham Advocacy Groups.
- External: EuroCham members, Myanmar central and local authorities, the European Delegation to Myanmar, EU Commission and Parliament, stakeholders in the region and in Europe, UMFCCI, bilateral European Chambers, local and international media
- Lead strategic planning processes to set Eurocham’s long term ambitions and targets
- Achieve operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews
- Transform EuroCham’s business and operating model to secure the sustainability of its operations
- Provide input on long-term planning and initiatives geared toward operational excellence
- Overall supervision of 4 core activity areas of EuroCham: Membership, Advocacy, Events and Information/Communication/PR
- Implement financial budgeting & controls in line with international standards
- Propose, implement and control overall EuroCham annual budget and long-range forecast of needs
- Development of individual budgets for key projects and initiatives (EuroCham Myanmar Responsible Business Initiative / EMRBI)
- Work closely with the finance manager/service provider and the appointed auditor in monitoring EuroCham’s finances
- Achievement of revenue and cost targets to ensure long term financial sustainability of EuroCham
- Ensure advertisement income growth through different EuroCham communication platforms (e.g. EuroMatters Magazine)
- Identifying and implementing new projects in line with EUD rules to grow financial sustainability
- Negotiate favourable contracts with suppliers and service partners
- Continuously increase the effectiveness and efficiency of internal administration processes
- Internal and external team and stakeholder management to further Eurocham’s mission
- HR management, talent development, employee engagement and recruiting
- Facilitate the communication and coordination amongst different departments internally and with a multitude of stakeholders externally
- Ensure relationships and reporting with the European Union Delegation
- Ensure strong compliance and governance
- Ensure regular management reporting to the Board of Directors
- Organise the Annual General Meeting of the chamber and conduct board elections
- Maintain legal integrity of the chamber
CLOSING OF THE ICI+ GRANT
The ED should supervise and ensure the implementation of the activities required and the reporting to the grant lead applicant and donor. This includes more specifically:
- Ensure compliance with the requirements linked to a EU-funded program, including but not limited to permitted expenditures, audit, visibility, communication, and other relevant rules and regulations
- Ensure the smooth implementation of the ICI+ budget until the end of the program
- Prepare the final ICI+ report budget and ensure a smooth closing of the project
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES INCLUDE but are not limited to:
- Drive membership and sponsorship growth and engagement
- Ensure delivery and development of member services
- Develop and supervise effective membership programs and services
Ensure the continuity and the implementation of EuroCham advocacy activities including:
- Supervise the coordination of Advocacy Groups
- Publication of the White Book and follow up on policy responses
- Inform the EU Delegation (DG Trade) and the EU Member States Embassies on the contents of the Advocacy actions and conduct joint advocacy actions when needed
- Ensure the timely delivery of EuroCham ongoing quality services to clients
- Assure a continuation and constant improvisation of services with the view of ensuring EuroCham future financial sustainability. Create and manage innovative services to third parties in order to increase revenues
4. European, ASEAN and International network development
- Expand the network for the chamber with organisations like Eurochambres, EBOWWN, UN, Worldbank, ILO and others
- Coordinate possible future EuroCham activities regarding the EU-Myanmar EBA related private sector consultation meetings, the EU-Myanmar Investment Protection Agreement and other relevant trade treaty development requiring European private-sector input
- Promote actively cooperation and collaboration with other bilateral European Chambers (MoUs, joint events…)
5. Communication and Marketing
- Maintain effective internal and external public relations and serve as spokesperson for the chamber with all stakeholders, in conjunction with the Chairman and Board of Directors
- Develop and maintain an effective communication strategy that is responsive to the needs of all stakeholders (Members, National and European Chambers, European Delegation)
- Masters or similar graduate degree;
- Knowledge of advocacy, government and political stakeholder management;
- Experience in organisational effectiveness and operations management;
- Management experience in a multi-national environment.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrable project management experience
- A track record of successfully leading and coordinating cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
- P&L responsibility
- HR responsibility
- Ability to build effective working relationships with high-level stakeholders in government and business is essential. A current network of contacts with senior Myanmar civil servants, ministries and business organisations, the European diplomatic corps and international business community in Myanmar is highly desirable
- A strong background in private-sector engagement is essential, and a knowledge of the Myanmar business environment is a distinct advantage
- Strong leadership skills are essential, as is the ability to manage competing priorities and deliver multiple projects to tight deadlines while working under pressure
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Good negotiation skills
- Constructive problem solving approach and patience and calm in pressured situations
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) are essential, as are strong drafting skills to prepare accurate and impactful communications that meet diplomatic communication protocol standards
- Good budgetary control
- Flexibility is required
- Languages: Fluent written and spoken English (good knowledge of another European language is an advantage).
- Software and IT Skills: Good computer skills with Microsoft Office Tools, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint are required. Computer skills with management software, database software and website software are preferred.
- Position open to European and Myanmar citizens
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Strong network development in the business community and top level government circles in Myanmar with relevant stakeholders across many sectors;
- Insights into international trade policies and economic diplomacy;
- Competitive compensation package;
- A cross-cultural and multi-disciplinary professional working environment.
Please send your application (including your CV, cover letter, 2 references and expected salary) to email@example.com by August 15th 2020 COB.
Candidatures to be addressed to Mr. Nicolas Delange, EuroCham Myanmar Chairman with email subject “EuroCham Myanmar Executive Director Application”