Breakfast Talk with H.E. Kristian Schmidt, Ambassador of the European Union to Myanmar on "European Economic Diplomacy"
On Thursday 22nd of March EuroCham Myanmar organized a breakfast talk on European Economic Diplomacy with H.E Kristian Schmidt, EU Ambassador to Myanmar in the presence of
- more than 30 country representatives of European companies in Myanmar
- some representatives of EU members states
- a delegation from the European Commission in Brussels.
The event was a continuation of an initiative to establish a regular consultation platform between EU Delegation and EuroCham advocacy members.
The EuroCham Breakfast Talk started with an introduction by Ambassador Schmidt in which he reaffirmed his support to the European private sector in Myanmar, to advocate for a level playing field that will establish the necessary conditions for European sustainable business models to succeed. The ambassador also underlined the importance of combining all European presence in Myanmar from the private sector, to embassies and chambers of commerce to reach the country’s full potential.
With regards to the current situation in Rakhine and its political and economic repercussions the Ambassador ensured continued EU engagement and support to Myanmar, but stressed that the EU will continue advocating for human rights in the country
The co-chairs and representatives of the EuroCham advocacy groups presented the EU Ambassador with an update on the current state of affairs in their respective sectors. EuroCham Myanmar has the following advocacy groups:
- Anti-Illicit Trade Advocacy Group chaired by Ms. Nandar Thaung and Ms. Khine Wai Thwe
- Construction Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Hari Krishna Reddy M.B and Mr. Methi Pieper
- Digital Innovation Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Erwin Sikma, Mr. Kieran J Rabbitt and Mr. Christo Thekkel
- Energy Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Zaw Zaw Maung and Mr. David O’Neill
- Health Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Frederik Meerhoff and Mr. Thin Jia Haur
- Legal Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Nishant Choudhary
- Logistics Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Samuel Conroy and Ms Flora Pintusoontorm
- Garment Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Tobias Fischer
- Automotive Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Chan Mya and Mr. Temmy Wiradjaja
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Advocacy Group chaired by Mr. Nicolas Delange and Mr. Min Thu
- Agro-Business Advocacy Group chaired by Esther Wintraecken and Johan van den Ban.
The European companies expressed their appreciation for the EU Ambassador’s presentation and support. Moreover, they look forward to continuing and intensifying their cooperation with the EU Delegation through EuroCham Myanmar to jointly improve the business climate for European companies in the country.
For more information regarding the many activities of the EU Delegation, please be referred to the website: https://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/myanmar-burma_en
1. Introduction by Ambassador Schmidt and EuroCham Executive Director Mr. Filip Lauwerysen
2. Business climate in Myanmar insights and EU Council conclusion.
3. Tour de table: update from the private sector (business climate, new business legislation, views on government’s economic agenda etc..)
4. Concluding remarks
Quotes of H.E. Kristian Schmidt, EU Ambassador to Myanmar:
“Combining European forces will be key in creating the necessary conditions to succeed in Myanmar.”
“The European delegation will keep supporting European companies since we understand your investments are a valuable contribution to Myanmar’s efforts in transitioning to democracy.”
“The European Union will not walk away from Myanmar, it will continue to advocate for human rights and support the current peace process.”
[Click here for the PDF version of the press release on the Breakfast Talk with H.E. Kristian Schmidt, Ambassador of the European Union to Myanmar on "European Economic Diplomacy" 22 March 2018 ]